Press "Enter" to skip to content

My dream workbench

What is a workshop without a proper workbench? Exactly, something essential would be missing.

SoFor me, it was clear that a combined planer-/workbench was needed. This baby first was planned with Sketchup, the plan is available for download here.

So-called “Workbenchcaster” are used as casters. These are folding castors that are only used when the workbench really needs to be moved. Otherwise the bench stands stable on its legs. As the workbench weighs over 100kg, a stable stand is guaranteed even when planing.

The frame is made of 8×8 cm or 8×10 cm constrction wood. The lining inside is made of OSB. On the back and for the drawers I have taken multiplex for the sake of optics, OSB would have done it there of course. The worktop is made of 27mm multiplex. The plate is sandeup to grain 240. After sanding, I painted the plate twice with hard wax oil and lightly sanded by hand between.

The next step was to mount the front pliers. I took the “large front pliers” (307758) from Feine Werkzeuge. Since I am known to be lazy, I ordered the matching wooden jaw at the same time. Drilling the appropriate holes is a bit tricky. Fortunately, I already had my Wabeco drill stand complete. This on a rolling base and I could drill perfectly straight holes. The drill stand was also used to drill the 19 mm holes on the top.

Finally, the drawers had to be built and mounted. I mounted two very flat drawers directly under the plate to catch any parts and dirt that might have fallen through the holes. I also mounted two larger drawers on the right for consumables and hand machines. The drawer bodies are OSB, the fronts and handles are multiplex. The drawers go over the full depth, which is why I used full extension slides with high load capacity. The left I left open. Currently there lands smaller scrap wood and my wood waste.

Ready assembled and in use, the workbench already looks good.

When I’m gluing something or doing other work that could extremely mess up the workbench, I usually put a table liner on it. The fold-away casters have also proven to be extremely useful, as I’ve had to move the workbench quite a few times, and it’s very quick and easy to do so.

The wood used I bought in the wood shop and not in the hardware store, because the quality in the hardware store was not good enough for me. All in all, I paid around 600 euros for everything, i.e. wood, rollers, pull-outs and front plier. With appropriate adjustments, I’m sure it can be done cheaper. But for me the workbench is the central workplace and should last as long as possible. Therefor it could cost few euros more.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *